Thumbnails For Windows 64 Bit add on - xsexplorer.exe

Ask questions about the use of Cross Stitch Professional for Windows including Machine Cross Stitch.
Forum rules
No links to competing software producs, illegal material, serial numbers or offensive material.

Thumbnails For Windows 64 Bit add on - xsexplorer.exe

Postby yatgirl » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 am

Are there plans to have the add on program Windows Thumbnail displayer - xsexplorer.exe available for 64 bit windows systems ? Currently it is only available for 32 bit. Would really like this available.
yatgirl

Re: Thumbnails For Windows 64 Bit add on - xsexplorer.exe

Postby DPSoftware » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:34 am

It proved very difficult to get Windows 64-bit to accept an extension to the explorer in order to do this. I do have new tools now so I will look at it again. Will be estimated 2-3 weeks before I can do this as its not a simple task and I have quite a Wishlist of features.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby DPSoftware » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 pm

I guess I should have said 2-3 months. It proved a bit more difficult than I thought.

It is now available for download:
https://www.dpsoftware.com/xsexplore64.exe

This is an installation that when you run installs the xsbrowse64.dll into the windows system folder and registers it with Windows. When Windows file explorer is set to show large, medium, extra large icons or tiles then the icon includes a picture of the design.

This version will only install on 64-bit Windows.

For 32-bit Windows, use the original version:
https://www.dpsoftware.com/xsexplore.exe
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby yatgirl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi Dave
This unfortunately is not working on my win 7 64 bit system.
I downloaded and installed. Didnt work, uninstalled and re-installed again. didnt work.
Opened a cross stitch pattern, made a small change - saved. didnt work.
Tried starting a new pattern and saving. didnt work.

I am using
Product Version: 2.1.1.0
Build: 2.1.1.772
Build Date: 2020-11-24 5:07:00 PM

Do I need to update DP software to the latest version for it to work perhaps ? or does the 64 bit only work on win8 and higher ?
yatgirl

Postby DPSoftware » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Do you have the xstitch.exe program registered with Windows to open files of type .xsp ? The installation program used to do this but it is not allowed on Windows 10 so was removed. The official way to register a file type with a program is now through Windows settings. Any attempt by other software to change file associations results in them being set to defaults.

You must also have Windows file explorer set to view large, medium or extra large icons or tiles, it will not work in file list or small icon mode.

It should display icons from almost any version with the exception of early version files containing non-ascii characters in the originally saved filename and then transported to a system in a different language.

If you still have problems, search the system for the file xsbrowse64.dll to ensure it was installed

You can manually register the dll but it needs a bit of work

From Windows start button, you can find the System folder that contains the Command Line icon. Right mouse click on this and choose "Run as Administrator"
now type the following line substituting the location of the dll file you found:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\xsbrowse64.dll

Note regsvr32 is the correct name even on 64-bit systems

To manually unregister you can use:
regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\xsbrowse64.dll

The advantage of trying it manually is you will see a message telling you if it was a success or not.

You may need to restart Windows after registering or unregistering the dll fo wit to take effect.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby yatgirl » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:11 pm

I am using win7 64 bit

1. When i click on any .xsp file - DP Cross Stitch opens the file - so I believe it is registered to open files of type .xsp.
2. I have windows explorer set to large icons
3. xsbrowse64.dll is existing in my C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Need clarification on the following:
From Windows start button, you can find the System folder that contains the Command Line icon.
- what do you mean by command line icon - I did a search for xsbrowse64.dll and it showed it was in System 32 folder

Right mouse click on this and choose "Run as Administrator" - right click on what? the exes in folder system32 have an option to run as administrator - dlls do not.
now type the following line substituting the location of the dll file you found:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\xsbrowse64.dll
yatgirl

Postby DPSoftware » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:12 am

If you go to the Windows start button, you should see a search box. Type the word Command and it should find the command prompt icon for you. You can then right click on it and start as administrator.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support (Windows)