life model?

Anything not covered by other forums
Forum rules
No links to competing software producs, illegal material, serial numbers or ofensive material.

life model?

Postby skitzzzz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm

unsure were to ask this but i will put it here
when using regular threads say DMC if i view in frame this gives me an idea of what it looks like stitched but say i want to use varigated threads say Carons watercolours i just get a whole colour - in frame - not really of what it would look like stitched now do i need publisher to achieve this look?
as in the life model or what do i need ? hope you understand the question thankyou
i love my pro plat plus but if publisher can do more of what i want then its my xmas present to me :)
skitzzzz

Re: life model?

Postby DPSoftware » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:48 pm

There is a variegated feature built in and the good news is you don't need the publisher version to use it. The bad news is that you will have to enter the variegated colour first as there is no library of them yet. How realistic it appears will depend on how regular the colour transitions are in the thread and also on which order it is stitched.

If you double click on a colour in the left hand palette, you will see the colour range on the bottom of the screen. Next to the solid colour sample, you will see a button with teh letter V. This switches it into variegated mode. Notice the sample is now smaller and there are additional + and - buttons. Each time you click the + button, it adds an additional colour patch so you can determine how many colour changes there are in you thread length before it repeats. Now click on each patch and pick a colour for it - either by choosing an existing colour from the colour range or by changing the R,G,B settings.

Finally you can set the length of thread to the right of the +/- buttons. This is the total length of all the colours before it starts to repeat in centimeters (approx 30cm = 1 foot).

Now click the OK button to finalise the colour. Notice that the colour palette now displays the range of colours instead of a solid patch. Also note that as you draw stitches on the screen, it will change the colour of each stitch. Since the effect is partly random, each time the screen redraws, you will get a different result - the same as when you stitch it.

You can use the colour range editor to create entire thread ranges of variegated colours the same way rather than creating them in each design. Just note that when converting photos to charts, the program cannot use the variegated colours when matching.

The view in frame will show the same effect as the screen.

Where the Publisher version improves this is the production of life size models using the "Make Photo" command. The Make photo has a "To printer" option in the publisher version that sends the photo directly to the printer at life size rather than as a graphics file. It also has the ability to vary from life size slightly to match the printer resolution with the stitch size amd also to modify the fabric slightly to make a more realistic, less harsh effect. To use this fully you really need a printer that can print the entire width of your design in one piece. The results are great when printed on matt photo paper and then framed with a real frame and mount. When I was doing exhibitions with designs, this is what I used for most of the models with just a few real stitched ones.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Return to Anything else