Editing Master Color Range

Ask questions about the use of Cross Stitch Professional for Windows including Machine Cross Stitch.
Forum rules
No links to competing software producs, illegal material, serial numbers or offensive material.

Editing Master Color Range

Postby yatgirl » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:29 pm

If I edit the Master Color Range and modify the floss names (for example to change Medium to MD so it is consistent) how do I ensure that future updates dont overwrite the changes I have made. Is there a file I need to save in a safe place to copy and replace at a later date ?
yatgirl

Re: Editing Master Color Range

Postby DPSoftware » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:50 am

In the colour range editor, there are 2 tabs of colour ranges - master and user.

If your saved range goes onto the user tab then you didn't have the privileges to overwrite the master file (or you elected to make changes only for the current user). In that case, your user colour range file overrides the master and when the master file is updated, your user file will still take priority.

If there is no user range file then you have updated the master colour range file supplied by the program. This could be overwritten if you re-install the full version or if you install a colour range update manually.

I would recommend you take a backup of any modified ranges in either case or just export them from the colour range editor onto a backup medium. If you export them, the files are standard text files that you can view and modify in notepad. If you just copy the range files, they are directly useable by the program but cannot be viewed outside.

The colour range files are named with the .rng file extension. You will find the location of the Master and User folders by choosing "Show my folder locations" on the Help menu. The colours are in the "colours" sub-folder. Note that some folders in the path are not visible so when using Windows file explorer, you need it set to show hidden files.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support (Windows)