Cannot print key

Any questions about the use of Cross Stitch Professional for Mac OS X

Cannot print key

Postby woolymammoth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:00 pm

When using the default key the pdf only shows the first few colors. So I created my own key template. But the program won't change templates. After navigating to my template and opening it, nothing happens. It does not display in the window. So I am unable to preview or print the key.
woolymammoth
woolymammoth

Re: Cannot print key

Postby DPSoftware » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Let me know if any of this is still a problem after downloading and installing the latest version - from either the original download site or the registered users page.

It should only be necessary to have the first line of each table in the key and the program should work out the sequence and compile the table to the correct length. This makes it much easier to edit the templates than having to include all 219 colours.

The Windows version will shortly be able to use the same short templates. In the meantime, it is necessary to remove the template when loading Mac designs into the Windows version so that the Windows software loads the default Windows style template. Faiure to do this resuts in only the first line of the key when printing Mac designs in the Windows version.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby DPSoftware » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:55 pm

I think you may need to update your email address in the forum as the notification of a new post message has bounced.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby woolymammoth » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Newest version installed, email address updated.

I am still having the same problems with the key. The default template will only preview the first 20 lines of the key. And if I try to use my key template, the program does not load it into DPEdit. It also won't allow me to paste it into DPEdit.

The default template works when previewing the entire design. The problem occurs when working with the key alone. However, my own key template will not load and cannot be pasted in whether previewing the whole design or the key only.

A separate issue with Preview and Print to PDF. I have page setup set to US letter size, but the page opens up to an enormous size in Adobe Reader. I have to shrink pages down to 25% to be able to view them in Reader.
woolymammoth
woolymammoth

Postby DPSoftware » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:09 am

Could you email the key template you are trying to open and the pdf that has the large page size for investigation. What are you using to create the template file ?

I will look at the key preview today. It sounds like a problem with the separate key preview function not expanding the template. I guess most people are not previewing the key separately.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby DPSoftware » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:58 pm

I checked the key preview here and found no problem with large numbers of colours. Can you email a sample design that has the problem and confirm the program version reported in "About" from the help menu.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby DPSoftware » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks for the example files. A new version has been uploaded to fix the key problem and also the strange colour in import.

The problem was each colour was counted twice and when the maximum 255 colours of a palette in the rtf file format was reached, it wrapped back to zero again giving a much smaller number of colours in the key than was needed for the pattern. So only patterns with well over 100 colours affected.

Your custom key has an error in that the first table row which should be titles contains an extra colour cell - presumeably from a copy/paste operation. This throws off the paired @@ tokens as there is no matching pair.

The custom key did reveal another problem when a table row is longer in one column due to wrapped text. The text that does not fit is sent to the first row of the next page and then overprints with the next row. I have not fixed this yet.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby woolymammoth » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:35 pm

The new version has fixed the problem with the default key, but I am still not able to open a custom key, even after fixing the mistake in that one. Clicking on the Change Template button opens DPEdit. Then i select Open, navigate to my custom templates folder, select one, then click Open. But the template does not open. ????
woolymammoth
woolymammoth

Postby DPSoftware » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:35 pm

If you use OSX Finder to open the folder containing your template and then select the file and select "Get info" from the File menu, does it show it as locked ? If so can you unlock it ? Make sure it is not open in another program.

In "Sharing and permissions" do you have both read and write access to the file ?

I was able to open the file you sent without modification and after erasing the faulty cell, it did produce a key.
Dave Peters
DP Software
www.dpsoftware.com
DPSoftware
Site Admin

Postby woolymammoth » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:07 pm

File is not locked, I have read and write access, but will not open in DPEdit.
woolymammoth
woolymammoth

Return to Technical Support (Mac OS X)